Bangalore - Day 1

After multiple attempts at planning a 'meet - up', we successfully did it! It was two days of fun, eat outs, drives, late night star gazing and chat sessions. Along with Ranjani, I got on the train to Bangalore at 10 30 PM. We caught up on each others lives (and many others' too) and it was nearly half past one when we decided to hit the sack. And guess what?! As soon as the train crossed Tamil Nadu, it became COLD! Seriously. Chennai's balmy night air transformed into a chill that gave me a headache and made me temporarily deaf too. So, we had to spend the rest of the night trying hard to get a shut eye. Thankfully it was a short journey as we reached Bangalore City Junction at 5 AM. Cold and sleep deprived, we decided to grab a bite as it was too early to expect food at the place we were going. We slowly ate our sandwiches then made our way out to find the Prepaid Auto rickshaw booth. After completing the formalities, we got into an auto that zoomed around the roads of the city.

Now, we expected misadventures, but this early! Our auto rickshaw's accelerator cord snapped. The driver then began tinkering with some wires and came up with a simple but brilliant solution. He tied one end of the wire to the vehicle's side and got back on road. So, now picture this. He pulled the wire for acceleration and released it for slowing down. We concluded that the 'common man' in India was very intelligent and had great presence of mind (Unlike people like me who held Engineering degrees from elite institutes yet were clueless).

Anyway, we reached the apartment complex around six. The place was awesome! And what's even better. Kinnera and Aparna actually lived on the 19th floor. What weather! And what view! Once in, we were too tired and sleepy to do anything worthwhile and so we crashed. Woke up around 9 AM and decided to go to the nearby grocery store. The vegetable vendor seemed to understand all four South Indian languages along with Hindi. Multilingual! Back home, we (OK not really, just Kinni) got into the cooking mode. After a breakfast of dosas with this interesting tangy chutney, we planned the rest of the day. We were to meet up Preeti, Sindhuja, and Keerthikiran. Then we had a late awesome lunch, that made us bow down to Kinni for her culinary skills. Damn! I still can't identify pulses. And I specialize in making Maggi.

After lunch, we drove over to MG Road and went to this cafe with live music. After some rounds of great music, coffee, iced tea and chocolate cakes, we walked around the place till 9 PM. Found an ice cream parlor and stayed there for another hour 'coz none of us were actually in mood for a proper dinner. And then, drove back home. Now, the night view from the 19th floor was out of the world. We settled down on bean bags and talked until 1 AM till some of us decided to fix something for dinner! Well, I don't know what they ate as I was asleep like a log, already. The others apparently stayed up till 3 AM.
So, Day 1 got over. So soon! To be continued.. Day 2.

P.S. I don't remember the names of places we went to (I suffer from severe short term memory loss) nor am I able to upload pics from work. Oh yea, I'm at work,  pretending to be very busy documenting my project updates. DND.


P.P.S. Day 2

You would also like



29 comments:

Aparna said...

ur post makes me nostalgic, having lived in B'lore all my life, it was almost like being there whilst u described the weather etc...
just my thoughts (albeit in a reverse direction) when i travel to chennai from b'lore..

Rajeshwaran S P said...

Wonderful post...
"We concluded that the 'common man' in India was very intelligent and had great presence of mind (Unlike people like me who held Engineering degrees from elite institutes yet were clueless)." - words of truth...
Enjoy the stay at Bangalore...

♥ÐÅyÐяєÅмє®♥ said...

what an idea sir ji :)

pisku said...

Looks like u came to bangalore just at the right time. The weather has been just out of the world these last two weeks!
Nice read!

Kaddu said...

LOL! I added the Followers Widget. And then I tried to figure it out... ha ha! All it did was import all my subscriptions from the Google Reader! Funny! I suppose it's the new replacement for RSS??? Writing is perhaps the easiest part of blogging! :-p

Kadambari said...

Aparna, I know. Though I like Chennai a lot, the weather made me real jealous of Bangalore. Just 5 hours away yet, what stark difference!

Rajeshwaran & Daydreamer Thanks! :)

Pisku, Good for us! It was such a relief.

Hey Kaddu, so you figured that out! See, wasn't that difficult right. Yea, just a fancier way of subscribing to feeds. :)

et said...

@ kaddu
Hmm blogging has grown much more complicated these days!!

And lol u had a gud time right! Bow to the common man.. i often wonder why we study lots of useless information at engineering colleges!

varunshridhar said...

Ooh!! nice revelations,..er..I meant the common man's common sense thing. :)
A post too personal. so here's the only thing I can comment: welcome back home!
not really home, is it? :)

Sumit said...

Nice! I've fallen in love with the city too, in just two weeks.

Pushkaraj said...

Another case of common man's ingenuity. It just might be true that the autowallah could be a Bacchan fan. I don't remember in which movie it is, but our superman hero holds the broken cable of his bike in his, hold your breath, his TEETH! So to go faster, he simply has to jerk his head backwards. Cool...
On a more realistic note, some years ago, two of my friends had a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere. They managed to push the bike to some km away where they knew a puncture shop existed (owned by a mallu anna of course). Unfortunately, there was no power and it was not expected to show up for some hours. What does anna do? He disappeared into the fields nearby and came back with a sackful of hay. He then proceeded to soak it really well in water. And guess what, he then packed the hay real tight in the tyre and fitted it back. These two guys were really skeptical but gingerly drove on to Pune, about 50 km. away without any problem at all. The best part of the story was still to come. They left the bike at another 'puncture anna' and told him they would return in 30 minutes or so. When they came back, the anna had removed all the hay out of the tyre (it looked like a wreath by now) and was squatting on the ground, looking incredulously at the hay wreath. He said to these guys, I will repair your wheel later, but first tell me - WHO ON EARTH has done this???

Anwin said...

Awesome, and I used to think that 'misadventures' happen only while traveling from Bangalore to Chennai... that's because I've had quite a few such experiences :)

Good funny anecdotes. Liked the post.

\m/
Anwin

Kadambari said...

ET.. I agree. What's the point of all those theorems and derivations when nothing helps in real life!

Varun.. Thank you! :)

Yea Sumit. Have fun! The place definitely rocks.

Lol, Mr. Pushkaraj. You always have such interesting anecdotes to share with us! Truly, the common man is wise beyond our imagination. :)

Thanks Anwin.

Ranjani said...

I'm lovin it! I totally want to do it all over again!! :D

Shrawan said...

Kadambari my name is Shrawan and I write for http://indianautosblog.com. I came across your blog through indiblogger and I must say, you're very good at describing events. Keep this up. You're doing a terrific job :-)

Sushil said...

Nice post on the trip. Having lived in Chennai for the greater part of my life I find BLR bit too cold for me and try to stay away as far as possible from it during September - February. The heat in Chennai now is making me want to visit BLR for a bit ...hell anywhere cooler than here is fine. Did you visit any of the parks ?

Am impressed by the auto guy's ingenuity with the cable and also by the Mallu anna mentioned by Pushkaraj. :-). This has to be the first time I have heard of hay in a tire. Too much !

joshi daniel said...

cheers! short term memory loss is a common phenomenon now. lol

Sumit said...

You have just been awarded.. to throw a party to the award-giver, please visit http://huesofinsanity.blogspot.com/2009/04/thoroughly-enjoyable-lightness-of-being.html

Kadambari said...

Hey Jinny, Absolutely! Time of lives.. It was two awesome days.

Thanks Shrawan. :)

In that case, Sushil, you NEED to go to Bangalore. It'll make you forget all this heat and humidity. I didn't go to any of the parks 'coz two days was too less a time to do it all.

Absolutely, Daniel. I'm wondering how I'd be when I cross 50. I might probably be like Amir Khan from Ghajini.. carry photographs and tattoo myself. ;)

Sumit! Thank you so much!!! :)

Amol Naik said...

Liked your post, and thank god for the presence-of-mind of the auto-rickshaw driver.

Enjoy the sunny days, Banglore is a rocking place.

KarSub said...

Oye Kaddu Kaddu Oye!

Where's B'lore Part Irendu? When you started off about B'lore I thought it would be the usual rant about traffic and soggy weather. But an ingenious auto-driver .. not bad.

Please go to the Corner-Shop and order Death By Chocolate.

Oh wait a minute..where are you now?

Kadambari said...

Thanks Amol. You're right. It would have been a pain being stranded in a strange city.

I'm back in Chennai, Kartik! But yea, I did order some deadly & sinful chocolaty stuff. That's a temptation I can't get resist. :)

sandeep said...

its when people from other cities come to blore and say nice things abt it, i realize that there are good things abt blore too :) thnx for reminding.

Kadambari said...

That's a thought, Sandeep. We forget to appreciate what we have. :)

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hmmmm..sorry i missed it before...

here my comment goes...

If something comes to my mind, when i think of bangalore..its weather that captivates my mind...

I simply loved it and you would too if you stay for few days more...

Well so you learned the trick teh autorickshaw played?? learn it..will be handy :P

MG road is rocking place, you can find handsome hunks and beautiful cheeks... :P

There are many things about MG road which you might get to know only if you stay a little longer.,...

Good experience..:)

Keep going...:)

Kadambari said...

Sure Mahesh. :)

bangalore said...

I'm wondering how I'd be when I cross 50. I might probably be like Amir Khan from Ghajini.. carry photographs and tattoo myself. ;)
New technology would have come when you reach 50, then dont worry about tatoooing

the said...

How to Reach India and how to Reach other part of India like Bangalore, Airport Delhi, Shirdi Dham, Mumbai Airport, Chennai, Pune, Hydrabad, Manali, Goa, Munnar, Ooty, Shimla, Kolkata. Find full travel guide over here. Train, Airway and Road way InformationHow to Reach Banglore, How to reach Banglore City, Banglore City Toure Guide

arunsubru said...

I was searching for blogs related to india tourism, india travel found your blog as an interesting one with relevant information. Most of the time i wont comment on blog especially on blogspot.com blogs, but with regard to this i cant resist myself from commenting. I enjoyed reading your post. India is truly a great place with lots of diversity and is a unique place in the world. Even in adverse economic situation india tourism industry has performed well. Being a person who is always eager to know more about India and india tourism, i thought that i would share my twitter and my india tourism blog with you. You can follow my updates on @india_tourism in twitter or find my india tourism news and updates in india travel blog and find tour packages in india tours

Computer service in chennai said...

Computer service in chennai Great Post fantastic

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 - Spirals - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template
Get your own * TAG CLOUD * here